The collection displays the development of
ironworks and steelworks in Koroška from their beginnings at the end of the
16th century onwards.
In Črna na Koroškem, the hydropower of the River
Meža was used by the ironworks as early as 1620, followed by the ironworks in
Mežica and Ravne na Koroškem in the 18th century. Due to the quality of its
products, especially railway tracks and numerous technical novelties, the
Rosthorn Ironworks in Prevalje experienced a rapid but temporary growth (from
1835 to 1899) and achieved worldwide reputation. The Ravne na Koroškem
steelworks, managed by Count Thurn and later called Ravne Steelworks,
experienced the same success.
From the mid-18th century onwards, the Zois
Ironworks in Mislinja was in operation for over 100 years. Hydraulic-powered
helve hammers were placed on the Bistrica Stream as early as the second half of
the 16th century, whereas the ore was extracted from the Pohorje Hills and then
smelted in a high furnace by the Plavžnica Stream, near Sveti Primož na Pohorju
up until 1833. Nails and other useful iron products were manufactured
originally. At the beginning of the 19th century, various tools, such as
spades, hoes, axes, and drills were forged at the forges, and various products,
such as frames, mortars, and flatirons were smelted at the foundry in Muta.
Reproduced from: Koroška Regional Museum