St. Pancras Church was fortified at the time of the
Turkish invasions onto the Slovenian territory at the beginning of the 16th
The patron church was first mentioned in 1090, and
it was mentioned as a parish in 1106. The church of a square ground plan with a
monolithic pillar was commissioned by Berthold of Andechs-Merania, the
patriarch of Aquileia.
The Counts and Dukes of Andechs-Merania were one of
the most powerful Bavarian noble families. They were present on Slovenia's
territory for five generations, which is around 125 years. The most important
territories where the Andechs built numerous monasteries, squares and towns are
Kamnik and Slovenj Gradec.