PAUČEK'S PARTISAN HOSPITAL UNITS

The covert partisan hospital complex comprised six units and was being built on the western Pohorje Hills from April 1944 until the end of the war by Dr. Ivan Kopač – Pauček (1916–1988), a partisan doctor, with the help of local activists, partisans, and the Liberation Front associates.

Around 300 wounded people were treated in the hospital units. Despite German strongholds in the valley and numerous field searches, the occupation forces never found the hospital units. The preserved hospital unit with the secret name of Trška Gora in Legen, 10 kilometres from Slovenj Gradec, is a cultural monument of national importance.

Photo: Koroška Regional Museum (archive)

Reproduced from: Koroška Regional Museum (www.kpm.si)

Info: